Glasscoat GF-600 is a high-performance, glass-fiber reinforced polymeric coating that was first developed decades ago for use in the industrial coatings industry for corrosion protection of steel and concrete. Over the past 35 years, polymers used have been specifically modified to be used in swimming pools, hot tubs, and other aquatic surfaces.
The use of corrosion-resistant polymeric materials for resurfacing pools and hot tubs is revolutionary, as the traditional materials used have been cement plaster based; and unfortunately, plaster finishes are porous and break down in pool water.
Polymeric materials are inert and not subject to degradation in the presence of hot water or pool chemicals. Therefore, Glasscoat comes with a 5-year warranty whereas cementitious finishes such as white marble, quartz and pebble aggregate type plasters provide little to no warranty, due to their inherent shortcomings.
The benefits of Glasscoat include:
- Corrosion resistance and waterproofing qualities
- Wear and abrasion-resistant
- Structural integrity repairs fractures and leaks.
- High-strength, flexibility and crack-bridging properties
- Excellent bonding to concrete and fiberglass
- Low life-cycle cost
- Much longer service life than cementitious products
- Virtually no periodic maintenance
- Excellent aesthetics retention over service life
- Better warranty compared to cement-based materials
- Written specifications compared to plaster
- Outperforms all pebble and quartz materials and PVC liners
- Overall reduction in chemical operating costs
- 35-year track record in commercial pools
- 20-year average service life expected
- Does not require periodic refinishing
- Unaffected by pH swings
- Surface remains stays smooth even in hot commercial spas
- Specified by aquatic consultants
Additional technical information about polymeric composites can be found here: discovercomposites.com